If you operate a culinary school you may find that a culinary school cookbook
is a great project to promote your school and involve your students. Everyone in class will promote the completed cookbook, possibly even raising revenue for your project if decide to do a cookbook fundraiser
. Often you can get local merchants to prominently display your chef
on their web sites or in their retail store as part of the marketing plan.
Establish a committee to meet on a regular basis to make decisions about how the cookbook publishing project is progressing and to establish the goals and a timeline for each stage of the project.
- Establish a cookbook theme such as holiday cookbooks and a timeline for completion.
- Determine what type of cookbook will be printed. Book dimensions such as size, fonts, margins, illustrations, page count etc. do not need to be addressed at this stage if you are using The Cooks Palate Publisher. Establish target sales revenue, develop a marketing plan and a project budget.
- If you are fundraising, emulate other fundraising cookbook projects that have been successful and set realistic goals.
- If it is a team project, identify the team leader or editor. Cookbook project teams are eligible for special Cooks Palate multi-pack licenses to complete their projects.
- Establish project guidelines with standardized processes for recipe testing, data entry, book layout, chapter definitions and cover design.
Organize Your Recipes
- Assemble recipes from your classes
- Enter recipes in The Cooks Palate along with category information for easy search and retrieval
Design Your Cookbook
- Develop a prototype manuscript. Typical cookbook layouts include a table of contents, chapters, images, font styles and sizes, pagination, an index and cover artwork. Ideally, you should use The Cooks Palate Publisher software to automate the cookbook format for you.
- Proofread and edit the manuscript
- Print a draft copy and circulate it for peer and editorial review.
- Get a final print production estimate based on page count using the Author, Inc.'s cookbook printing cost calculator.
Print Your Cookbook Manuscript
- Upload your finished manuscript to the Author, Inc. website for professional print on demand publishing.
- Or submit your manuscript to a commercial printer for final production
Promote Your Culinary School Cookbook
- Execute the cookbook marketing plan